Mar 12, 2013

Google Glass and Kids- BYOGG? Quick Links to MIT Tech Review Post and more

Now that I'm set to experiment with Leap Motion, I started thinking about Google Glass - I know if I visit my grandson wearing them, he'd figure he should, too.  Why not?  He expects to play with my iPad for at least a short while during our visits.

I can see the potential for active educational game applications with this device.

I wonder if Google Glass will follow the path of cell phones into classroom settings. Once banned, many schools are embracing their use in BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) programs. BYOGG?  TIme will tell.


Here is a video from Google provides a view of what the Google Glass experience might be like for a variety of people:
 



Here is an example of a mother of a 2-month-old infant, wearing Google Glass as she shares special moments:

I'm guilty of BTV (baby TV)- in the form of BetaMax and VHS tape recordings.  If Google Glass was around when my kids were babies, I'd probably do the same.


Here is another example of "Project Glass": 



I work with a number of students who are non-verbal and have severe autism. I think there is potential for use with children and adults disabilities.   


Some ideas that come to mind:

Facial expression translator/decoder (for people with autism spectrum disorders)
Two-way sign language translator
Augmented device for the visually-impaired, elderly, etc.
Accessible games, active games
Travel guide, museum guide, health care/hospital stay guide
Exercise companion
InfoVis advisor
Shopping trip/fashion advisor for people like me who hate shopping


RELATED
Growing Up with Google Glass: When Google Glass launches it will be used by kids as well as adults.
Tom Simonite, MIT Technology Review, 3/5/13

Can You See How Google Glass Will Disrupt Higher Education?
Jimmy Daly, EDTECH, 2/26/13

The rise of smartglasses in education: or, A shameless plea to Jaime Casap
Thomas B. Segal, Education Week, 3/5/13



No comments: