Jul 24, 2009

Haptic/Tactile Interface: Dynamically Changeable Physical Buttons on a Visual Display -

I came across an interesting video clip while researching haptic and tactile interfaces.

Chris Harrison , a Ph.D. student, and Scott E. Hudson, his advisor, are researchers at Carnegie-Mellon's Human-Computer Interaction Institute. They've been working on a variety of methods to provide tactile properties for visual displays



The paper can be accessed on Chris Harrison's website.

This work was also highlighted in a recent article in Popular Science:

Your Next Touchscreen Might Bulge With Inflatable Buttons: Latex overlays inflate to provide the tactile sensation of pressing a button -Dan Smith, 7/21/09

I'm not very fond of buttons, but if something like this could be configured for my remote control, I could control my TV effortlessly while viewing in the dark!

No comments: