Jul 26, 2011

OPEN SOURCE MULTI-TOUCH SOFTWARE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE WITH AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDERS- Featured in the WSJ! (Video and links)

Well before the iPad entered the market, researchers such as Dr. Juan Hourcade at the University of Iowa, began to develop multi-touch software to  support young people with autism spectrum disorders and other disabilities.  I've been following this research for a while, and was happy to discover that Dr. Hourcade's work was  recently featured in a recent Wall Street Journal article and video.  


If you are a parent or work with a young person with special needs, you might be interested in learning more about Windows-7 based touch-screen software.  The software shown in the video below, as well as related resources, are available for free on the Open Autism Software website.




RELATED

Article:
Shalini Ramachandran, Wall Street Journal, 7/26/11

Previous Post: Interactive Multi-Touch for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders:  Research and Apps by Juan Pablo Hourcade, Thomas Hanson, and Natasha Bullock-Rest, University of Iowa 4/26/10




Why is this important to me?   
I work with young people with a range of disabilities, including autism, as a school psychologist.  One of my schools is a program that is technology-rich.  Although we don't have iPads, there is a SMARTBoard in every classroom and in other rooms around the school. We have a Wii,  a few multi-touch all-in-one PC's,  and recently received two Dell multi-touch tablet PCs

I noticed that Dr. Hourcade is looking for people who'd like to create similar apps for the iPad.  I'd be interested in knowing anyone who might be working on this.  I'd like to help in some way, but I don't have a lot of free time to do this on my own. 

I have a new iPad2, and after playing around with a ton of apps, I was inspired to downloaded XCode4 and think about what I could create. I'm a Mac person at heart, but I learned to program within a Windows environment (C#).    I need a way to maintain my programming skills and gradually learn a few new ones. This sort of project would be useful to me in my "day job", too!




SOMEWHAT RELATED
3D Interactive Heart, by 22Miles, on a Dell Latitude Xt2


No comments: